According to the Federal Trade Commission, millions of people each year are victims of identity theft.
Keeping Personal Information Secure
Here are simple ways you can ensure your private information remains private:
- Ask questions before you share it
- Lock it up
- Shred it
- Password-protect it
- Use security software to guard it
Responding to Identity Theft
Take these three steps as soon as you discover someone has stolen your personal information:
- Place a fraud alert with the credit reporting companies.
- Get your free credit reports.
- Create an Identity Theft Report by filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and your local police department.
For more tips and advice, visit the Federal Trade Commission website.